Ambient yogurt is also called long-term or environmental compatibility yogurt. This type of yogurt offers producers who are facing challenges a new way to grow the yogurt market.
Ambient yogurt is the latest production method that comes from China and has become very popular in recent years.
Ambient yogurt is a fermented dairy product that is usually in the form of stirred yogurt or a drink that undergoes a heat process after fermentation. Because of the sterilization process, Ambient yogurt does not contain live bacteria, thus extending its shelf life. The purpose of heat treatment of yogurt is to inactivate the starter bacteria and their enzymes to minimize acidification and inactivate yeasts and molds, which, if there is contamination in the product, give it unfavorable characteristics. In this type of stirred yogurt, heat treatment is applied at a temperature of 75-110°C for a few seconds. Ambient yogurt is considered commercially sterile and remains stable for up to one year.
Ambient Yogurt was launched in China in 2007 and quickly spread to other parts of the world.
Ambient yogurt is a good source of dairy protein, vitamins, and minerals. In addition, it can be safely carried and consumed without being damaged in unstable conditions.
• Long-term shelf life of 9-12 months at room temperature
• Different flavors like plain, sweet, or savory flavors (mixed with vanilla, cheese, or fruits and grain)
• Contains 1-4% protein
• A wide range of textures, including drinkable (diluted) or set with a consistent texture
• Easy transportation and distribution due to unnecessary cold chain infrastructure
• Low risk of bacterial contamination
• Reduced production costs and waste